Requirements for Undergraduate Degree Admission
SHMU Requirements for Undergraduate Degree Admission
Undergraduate prospective students coming to SHMU aim at initiating their university life and realizing their academic goals. So, we encourage all applicants to apply to SHMU.
Before you fill in the online application form, make sure that you exhibit the required qualifications and hold the essential documents.
As an undergraduate applicant, you should meet certain requirements depending on the program you are applying for.
Applications are accepted from graduates of accredited high schools or colleges/universities.
Both oral and written competence in the English language is part of the entry requirements for the University.
Applicants who have obtained higher marks in Biology, Chemistry (General, Inorganic and Organic) and Physics in high school enjoy preference.
Applicants are required to be over the age of 17 in the year of application. The list below outlines required documents for undergraduate application to SHMU:
- A satisfactory academic record: Applicants must obtain a record of transcripts from the institution they have attended. There is no minimum required GPA to secure admission to an undergraduate program. However, competitive applicants have the GPA of 3.00 or above.
- A secondary school diploma or the equivalent certificate
Important notice: Please note that applicants should submit a certified copy of their School Leaving Certificate from an accredited high school/senior secondary
school and certificate listing all the subjects they have taken and the grades they have achieved.
Please note that the school reports should include all graded results obtained during your studies.
- Curriculum vitae (CV): This includes your personal information as well as your educational background and work experience.
- Cover Letter: This letter demonstrates which program you are deciding to apply for.
- Scanned copy of the main page of your passport in high quality in any graphic file format (PDF, JPEG, PNG)
- Passport size photo
- Language requirements:
English Language Requirements:
Evidence of English Proficiency on the TOEFL or IELTS tests. The minimum score for TOEFL PBT, TOEFL iBT and IELTS is 525, 69 and 5.5 respectively.
NOTE: the following individuals may be waived from providing a certificate of English language proficiency. However, in some cases, they might undergo a language placement test based on the decision of SHMU Office of International Admissions for international students.
- Applicants from a native of English speaking countries
- Applicants from countries where English is the official language.
- Applicants who have been educated full-time in the medium of the English language throughout the two most recent years and who remain in full-time education conducted in the English language until the end of the school year in their home country (an official certificate must be submitted).
NOTE: Applicants who have failed to meet minimum language requirements are allowed to apply to SHMU. In case they are admitted to SHMU,
they will undergo an English language placement test at the time of their arrival for assessment of their ability in speaking and reading English.
If applicant’s English language proficiency does not meet SHMU minimum requirements, s/he is required to pass
English language classes for at least one semester before the program or during the program.
This decision will be made based on SHMU English Language Department evaluation and placement test and
based on the decision of SHMU Office of International Admissions for international students.
English Language Classes (for whole 200 hours) costs $2,500.
Please note that this fee is completely separate from the tuition fee.
If 136 hours is not enough to pass SHMU minimum language requirements, students are required to attend English classes for another semester.
At the end of the second semester, if the students still do not succeed to pass
SHMU minimum language requirements, they will be denied admission to the offered program.
Persian Language Requirements:
It is not essential for prospective international students of M.D Program to provide evidence of Persian language proficiency to enter
their chosen program. However, due to the fact that communicating with local patients (in Persian) are an integral part of clinical practice,
students of M.D Program must master Persian language skills including speaking, writing and reading during the basic sciences stage.
Thus, the international programs combine English and Persian as their language of instruction. On the other hand, all the references and exams will be in English.
Students admitted to the M.D Program will be assessed through a Persian placement test held by the SHMU
Persian Language Center upon arrival. Persian language training is provided to the students who
should take the Persian course, during the program, beginning from the first semester.
The total obligatory Persian language course duration will be maximum 272 hours.
This course can be entirely free for those applicants who win the scholarship.
Should a student fail to fulfill the minimum Persian language requirements after receiving the prearranged amount of education,
based on the decision of the Persian Language Center and the Office of Admissions at SHMU,
they should keep taking Persian courses until they reach the desired level of proficiency.
They should also pay for these extra Persian courses (over 272 hours), even if they have been granted a scholarship.
The major language of instruction for international M.D. programs at SHMU is English.
Courses are offered in English over the pre-clinical phase. During the transition from pre-clinical to clinical phase, a Persian proficiency test
will be held to evaluate the students’ Persian language skills. At this point, students are required to know a good deal of Persian,
since they should interact with local patients in the Persian language.
It should be noted that only those students are eligible to take the Persian Language proficiency test prior to the
clinical phase that have participated fully in the Persian Language classes, passed the course and received a written permission from the SHMU Languages Center.
Minimum requirements of Persian language for admission to other undergraduate programs vary depending on the intended program
and each prospective candidate will be informed of the required language competence through an e-mail.
- Iranian citizens and Iranian applicants who hold dual citizenship cannot apply to SHMU International Education Program (IEP). They must sit the National Entrance Examination (Konkur).
- Each academic year consists of 2 semesters and a summer break. The fall and winter semesters begin in September and February, respectively.
- SHMU provides single undergraduate students with dormitory rooms and apartments, which are fully furnished and include Wi-Fi internet, utilities, TV, etc.
- All documents must be submitted in either Persian or English. All documents in any language other than Persian or English must first be translated into English.
- Only applications with high school documents can be considered for undergraduate applications. Even applicants who have already obtained an academic degree and intend to apply for an undergraduate program should submit their high school diploma and transcripts. Applications accompanied by university documents that miss the high school records will be ignored.